· 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat linguine
· 1 pound chicken breast strips
· 1-2 tsp Cajun seasoning (or to taste)
· 1 tbsp olive oil
· 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
· 1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
· 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
· 1/2 red onion, sliced
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 2 medium tomatoes, diced
· 1 cup fat free low sodium chicken broth
· 1/3 cup skim milk
· 1 tbsp flour
· 3 tbsp light cream cheese
· fresh cracked pepper
· 2 scallions, chopped
· salt to taste
· Smart Balance cooking spray
Prep all your vegetables. In a small blender make slurry by combining milk, flour and cream cheese. Set aside. Season chicken generously with Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and salt.
Prepare pasta in salted water according to package directions.
Heat a large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; spray with cooking spray and add half of the chicken. Sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until done, set aside on a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken. Set aside.
Add olive oil to the skillet and reduce to medium; add bell peppers, onions, and garlic to skillet, sauté 3-4 minutes.
Add mushrooms and tomatoes and sauté 3-4 more minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season with 1/4 tsp salt, garlic powder and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
Reduce heat to medium-low; add chicken broth and pour in slurry stirring about 2 minutes.
Return chicken to skillet; adjust salt and Cajun seasoning to taste, cook another minute or two until hot, then add linguine; toss well to coat. Top with chopped scallions and enjoy!