Memorial Day is a day full of celebration and remembrance for our country. Often, friends and families gather to enjoy the summer sun and each other’s company. The grills are hot, the traffic is heavy, and the pool is cool! To get the most out of this weekend, take note of the following tips for your safety:
- Wherever your final destination may be, ensure you get there safely.
- While you may be in a hurry, do not follow other vehicles too closely and use caution in construction zones.
- Be sure to make frequent stops and use multiple drivers if necessary.
- Ensure that your vehicle’s gas tank doesn’t get too low.
- Let someone know where you’re going before you leave, just in case you run into trouble.
- Avoid distractions such as cell phones, and always buckle your seatbelt!
- Keep your grill out in the open and away from overhangs, enclosed areas, or anything that could catch fire.
- Make sure that no one gets too close to the grill, such as children or pets.
- Use long-handled tools as to avoid any burns.
- Never add starter fluid if your coals have already been lit.
- Learn CPR in case of an emergency, and ensure that all swimmers are skilled.
- Actively supervise children, and stay within arms reach of new swimmers.
- If you’re on a boat, sport a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
- Remain within eyeshot of a lifeguard and swim with a buddy.
- Keep a life preserver nearby, and in case of drowning, throw it, but don’t jump in. Call 9-1-1 in case of an emergency.
Having some fun in the sun is a necessity on Memorial Day, and to ensure you have your best one yet, follow these tips to avoid any unforeseen accidents! Happy Memorial Day!