Rehabilitation & Physical Therapy Unit in Bessemer, AL
The Rehabilitation Unit at Medical West Hospital provides therapy for patients recovering from injuries, strokes, amputations and other neurological diagnoses. Located on the second floor of the main hospital, the rehab unit offers:
- 17 private rooms
- 24-hour care by a licensed nurse
- One-on-one therapy a minimum of three hours a day, five days a week
- Daily rehabilitation physician rounds
- Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapy
- On-site Dialysis
- Access to a full spectrum of medical services
- Newly renovated Inpatient Rehab Gym
Our interdisciplinary rehabilitation team is responsible for providing friendly and courteous care with a focus on patient and caregiver education. This team, which is comprised of highly experienced nurses, follows the standards set by UDS/FIM to document and measure the progress of our patients.
We help our patients return to better health by offering comprehensive medical and surgical care. As an Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility, our services include: wound care, dialysis, radiology, and pharmacy. In addition, Medical West Rehab patients can expect round-the-clock Hospitalist coverage.
Physical therapy provides patients with hands-on evaluation and treatment to assist and guide them through recovery from an injury or debilitating condition. Our team specializes in general orthopedic therapy, back therapy , foot and ankle therapy, and neurological/muscular re-education. Treatment and exercises may take place at our wellness center.
Occupational therapy provides comprehensive evaluations of the hand, wrist and upper extremities. Treatment includes motor coordination, manual techniques, energy conservation, joint conservation, strengthening, edema control techniques, and functional re-education. Our team can customize splints, both static and dynamic.
At the Rehabilitation Unit, patients can receive treatment for speech, language, cognitive-linguistic, and swallowing disorders.
Medical West has various rehabilitative care programs:
- Balance/ Gait
- General Rehabilitation
- Musculoskeletal/ Back Stabilization/ Postural
- Neurological Disorders
- Wound Care
- ROM/ Strengthening
- Dysphagia/ Videofluoroscopy
Program Benefits and Features
- Hospital-based therapy is not subject to the Medicare cap for therapy services
- TENS, lumbar, and cervical home units in stock for home programs
- Discharge Planning
- Family Education/Training
- Multidisciplinary/Team Approach
- Patient-friendly Environment
- Partnership with YMCA for continued maintenance after discharge