We're Here for You. Your Safety Is Our Priority.
Last Updated: August 12, 2021
In times of such uncertainty, one thing you can be certain of is that UAB Medical West is here for you. We are committed to providing safe, quality healthcare for our community. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have taken the necessary precautions to ensure our facilities - including our main campus, both emergency room locations and our satellite health center locations - are a safe environment for our patients and staff members.
UAB Medical West continues to follow the CDC Guidelines for Masking. The expiration of the Alabama Mask Mandate doe not apply in healthcare facilities. CMS and the Joint Commission require us to continue univeral masking at this time. The policy will be updated as the CDC guidelines are updated.
- Must wear face covering over mouth and nose when outside of the hospital room, exam room, treatment area, or procedure area.
- Fully vaccinated patients may gather in a group to eat or for treatment without masking or social distancing (Psych, Therapy, Rehab)
- Patient may remove mask in treatment room, exam room, or procedure room.
- Must wear face covering over mouth and nose when inside the facility,
- May remove mask in patient room when staff are not present. If staff present, must wear mask.
- Expected to socially distance from others - limit of 1 visitor per room to allow distancing when staff must be present.
- Must wear disposable mask or N95 without exhaust valve over nose and mouth in public areas (including nurses stations, waiting/holding areas, cafeteria, halls, etc.)
- Wear N95, CAPR, or PAPR for COVID patient, COVID PUI, High Risk Procedures, and collection of COVID samples
- Fully vaccinated staff may gather in private area with other vaccinated HCWs without mask or distancing
UAB Medical West continues to follow the CDC Guidelines for health care visitation. The policy will be updated as the CDC guidelines are updated.
- Masks are required for all visitors.
- No more than 1 visitor per patient room (Non-COVID Patients)
- No visitation for COVID patients
VISITATION IS NOT ALLOWED IF:
- Visitor has symptoms of COVID-19
- Visitor has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 10 days
- Visitor has been exposed to COVID-19 in the last 10 days
- General - 5:30 pm until 8:00 pm
- ICU - 5:30 am until 6:30 am / 7:00 am until 6:30 pm / 7:00 pm until 8:00 pm
- Rehab - 4:00 pm until 8:00 pm
- Psych - 1:30 pm until 2:30 pm / 5:00 pm until 6:00 pm
- ER - Based on patient condition and treatment
In addition to our masking and visitation policies, UAB Medical West continues to encourage social distancing and hand hygiene in all areas. Thank you for your support as we work together to make our environment safe.