American tradition tells us that if we don’t wear green on St. Patrick’s Day, we’ll be pinched! But just like a leprechaun, we have a trick up our sleeve. Let your friends and family know they need to keep their pinchers at bay – this year you’re going green on the inside!
March is National Nutrition Month, so instead of going for those chocolate coins, give your diet a change in color. Here are 5 ways to turn your diet green.
1) Savor your breakfast – Fritters for breakfast? Surely that’s not healthy… Well, when you go green, it can be! Grate zucchini, add handfuls of baby spinach and feta cheese, and finish the mixture with minced herbs such as dill, mint, or oregano. Mix with lightly beaten eggs, garlic and scallions. Batter the fritters and fry for about six minutes! Your friends will be green with envy.
2) Make a shamrock smoothie – Create a base of green with kale in this smoothie, also mixing in frozen bananas, coconut milk, and chopped mint! Add hemp seeds, maca powder and cocoa powder for added nutrition. It’s a healthy alternative to a shamrock shake!
3) Fry something new – Avocados are considered a super-food, containing tons of fiber, folate, potassium, vitamin E, and magnesium. Instead of the fatty pub fries, dredge slices of avocados through breadcrumb mixture of lemon pepper, salt, and cumin, followed by beaten eggs. Dip the slices once more through the breadcrumbs and fry in a frying pan of oil. Be sure to transfer to paper towel to absorb excess oil!
4) Take a dip – Instead of bringing a dairy-laden, cheesy dip to your St. Patty’s day party, whip up a dip using kale, cashews, cannellini beans, tahini, and parsley! Accent the dip with cayenne, black pepper, lemon juice, and olive oil. Dive in with carrot sticks, toasted bread, or rice crackers.
5) Treat your sweet tooth – Who said sweets were off the table? This Greek frozen yogurt turned mint chocolate chip is full of probiotics. Chop mint leaves and mix with coconut milk on medium heat. Add honey and steep. Sieve into a large bowl, add peppermint extract and Greek yogurt! Freeze the mixture for two hours, stirring every 30 minutes and add dark chocolate chips. Continue to freeze until ready to serve!
Use any of these exciting recipes for a festive St. Patrick’s Day party, or just have them handy to keep pinchers away. Happy St. Patty's Day!
Find these and more great recipes at this link: https://greatist.com/health/healthy-green-recipes-st-patricks-day