It may sound funny, but one of the best things you can do for better health… close your eyes.
However, did you know that more than 50 million Americans report they are not getting enough rest? A lack of sleep and rest can impact your brain, mood, and body. A tired mind has trouble focusing, which can bring difficulty in making decisions or learning new things. (That’s a real world issue, as it can affect your professional life.)
Your personal life is affected as well, as your mood may swing quickly or you may have a shorter temper. It’s difficult for others to be around you if you are quickly and constantly reacting with annoyance.
And the body is affected as well. Without sleep, the body doesn’t have the opportunity to restore protective antibodies and cells. If that goes on long enough, your health is compromised - all because you’re not getting enough sleep!
On average, an adult needs 7 to 9 hours of sleep a night for the mind and body to function properly. What happens in those 7 to 9 hours? A lot of things that make a healthier you:
- Decreased heart rate, breathing rate and blood pressure
- Chronic pain from injury minimized (you’re off your feet for several hours!)
- Improved memory
- Immune system builds antibodies
- Mood lifted
- Weight management improved (you don’t eat while you are asleep!)
- Risks of heart disease, heart attacks, diabetes, and obesity reduced
Make sleep a priority in your life. You’ll be glad you did the rest of the day!